Problem understanding Phoenix

May 2, 2008 at 6:33 AM
Edited May 2, 2008 at 6:37 AM
Hi !!
I need some help regarding this project.

I am facing a lot of problems in understanding the Microsoft Phoenix framework. I have used Phoenix documentation and also went through the workshop slides but I could not understand much. I would really appreciate if somebody can share his knowledge about phoenix API with me. If there is some documentation or tutorials which are being used internally in Microsoft and can be shared with me, that will also help. I have noticed that phoenix team has been conducting workshops(not in India) regularly to teach phoenix to the public. If there are some videos of these workshops which can be shared with me then also it will be really beneficial.

Thanks
May 10, 2008 at 7:38 AM

Hi, this is Andy Ayers, Architect on the Phoenix project.

Unfortunately, we don't have anything useful to share beyond what we have posted on our connect site and research site (I have a bunch of raw video taken at the UVA Summer Workshop, but it needs serious editing). Let me mention some things that have helped unblock others.

1. The samples. Many of our users have looked through the samples and picked one that most closely matches what they are trying to do, and then started altering it as necessary.
  2. The workshops have accompanying exercises which reinforce the slides. Working through a few of those can be helpful.
  3. If you are working on a compiler-based transformation tool, you can sometimes do the modifications in source and then examine how the IR changes to get ideas on what the compiler plugin needs to do.
  4. If you have specific questions about parts of Phoenix I would recommend posting on the support forum.

Also, we held a workshop in India back in 2006. You might try contacting Prof. Regeti to see if he's developed anything he can share to get you started.

May 14, 2008 at 8:40 AM
Thanks for the information.

I am working under Prof. Regeti. There are a few plugins developed by some students working under him but unfortunately none of the projects are related to what I am doing.
Anyhow I will ask questions in the phoenix forum.

regards,
Akshey

AndyAyers wrote:

Hi, this is Andy Ayers, Architect on the Phoenix project.

Unfortunately, we don't have anything useful to share beyond what we have posted on our connect site and research site (I have a bunch of raw video taken at the UVA Summer Workshop, but it needs serious editing). Let me mention some things that have helped unblock others.

1. The samples. Many of our users have looked through the samples and picked one that most closely matches what they are trying to do, and then started altering it as necessary.
  2. The workshops have accompanying exercises which reinforce the slides. Working through a few of those can be helpful.
  3. If you are working on a compiler-based transformation tool, you can sometimes do the modifications in source and then examine how the IR changes to get ideas on what the compiler plugin needs to do.
  4. If you have specific questions about parts of Phoenix I would recommend posting on the support forum.

Also, we held a workshop in India back in 2006. You might try contacting Prof. Regeti to see if he's developed anything he can share to get you started.